Cleaning Up Criminal Records: Correcting Inaccurate Criminal Records
- A guide to correcting inaccurate criminal records.
- Outlines a settlement reached with the Michigan State Police regarding inaccurate criminal records on ICHAT.
- Criminal record information sometimes appears on credit reports. This document provides information on how to obtain and correct your credit report.
- Information about challenging identity history summaries (criminal records) obtained from the FBI. See also FBI record requests for information on getting an FBI record or the Department of Justice Order requiring the FBI to establish procedures for obtaining and challenging personal record.
- Federal regulations governing criminal justice information systems.
- 28 C.F.R. §20.21(g) establishes the right to individual access and review for correction of criminal records.
- 28 C.F.R. §20.21(a)(1) establishes a 90-day period for disposition reporting.
- 28 C.F.R. §20.21(b)(2) permits dissemination of non-conviction information only if permitted by official policy, such as statute or court rule.
- A legal overview of public criminal records prepared by Sharon M. Dietrich, Community Legal Services, Inc.
- Report on the increasing availability of criminal records for non-law enforcement purposes. Prepared by Sharon M. Dietrich, Community Legal Services, Inc.
- An overview of state statutes governing accuracy and dissemination of criminal records. Prepared by the U.S. Department of Justice.
- Statistics on criminal histories and records in U.S. jurisdictions. Compiled by the U.S. Department of Justice.
- Report detailing the role that commercial background screening companies play in the collection, maintenance, sale, and dissemination of criminal records. Prepared by SEARCH and The National Consortium for Justice Information and Statistics.
| Other pages in this section: Obtaining Criminal Records - Expungement - Removing Arrest Information That Did Not Result in Conviction - Deferrals and Dismissals for Specified Offenses - Pardons - Getting Damages for Inaccurate Records- Juvenile Records|
Return to section overview: Cleaning Up Criminal Records