Housing: Subsidized Housing
- Explains housing rights of people with criminal records, including information on subsidized housing.
Statutes and Regulations
- Resource prepared by the National Housing Law Project, advocating for public housing authorities and private owners of federally assisted housing to adopt more flexible admission policies for people with criminal records.
- This summary describes the federal public housing laws that govern the admission and eviction of people with criminal histories into federally assisted housing.
- Overview of record-based barriers to subsidized housing.
Briefs and Pleadings
- Motion to Dismiss based on due process and notice violations in case of eviction from public housing based on tenant's son's drug arrest.
- Sample answer to an eviction of a current tenant in subsidized housing who is being evicted for being on the sex offender registry.
- This letter outlines the Michigan Medical Marijuana Act and advises that landlords with federally assistance are not required to evict tenants in violation of drug laws.
- In MPHA v. Vann, the Minnesota Public Housing Authority was evicting a public housing tenant for possession of a small amount of marijuana a mile away from the property, with no allegations that the tenant had done anything wrong on the property. Federal statute allows for eviction for drug-related criminal activity on or off the property, with no geographic limitation. Possession of a small amount of marijuana is a petty misdemeanor, not a crime, under state law. The court granted judgment for the tenant, finding that Congress did not intend "drug-related criminal activity" to include non-criminal illegal activity.
Individuals not subject to a lifetime sex registration may be allowed to receive Section 8 vouchers and reside in government-subsidized housing. The sample letters below explain this exception.
| Other pages in this section: General Information and Legal Outlines - Subsidized Housing - Housing for People with Sex Offenses|
Return to section overview: Housing