Resources for Criminal Defense Attorneys
Client Questionnaire to Flag Collateral Consequences
- There are many consequences to having a criminal record other than the sentence imposed by the court. For example, you can be deported, lose your job, lose your housing, or have your parental rights terminated. Have your clients fill out this questionnaire to help identify and avoid these consequences.
Hand-Outs for Clients
- Handouts for clients on employment, immigration, and housing consequences of having a criminal record. Hard copies can be ordered from the Michigan State Bar.
General Resources on Collateral Consequences in Michigan
- Outline of civil consequences of criminal convictions, with citations, prepared for a training of criminal justice practitioners.
- Criminal Advocacy Training Program Powerpoint Presentation.
- Extensive legal research links for criminal defense practitioners.
- Extensive information for defense attorneys on how to represent non-citizen defendants in criminal proceedings so as to mitigate immigration consequences.
- Resources for defense attorneys on addressing immigration issues.
Resources re Clients Working in Education
- This notice sets out issues, particularly reporting, that are important to know when representing school employees who are facing criminal charges.