Resources for Prisoners and Returning Prisoners
Guides to Services
- Links to a variety of sources for healthcare.
- Resource guide for Genesee County.
- Resource guide for Grand Rapids area.
- Resources on prison legal issues.
- Resource list that focuses on women, and particularly survivors of domestic violence.
- County-by-county resource guide for services
- Variety of resources, including inmate locator
Legal Information If You Do Not Have an Attorney
- Information on how to write letters in support of parole.
- A resource for prisoners who wish to file a lawsuit in federal court regarding poor conditions in prison or abuse by prison staff.
- Provides and overview of how prisoners can file lawsuits without an attorney.
- Explains how to file a complaint without an attorney.
- Explains that prisoners must "exhaust" their administrative remedies before filing a lawsuit.
- Explains that prisoner who files three frivolous lawsuit is barred from filing more cases without paying the filing fee; also explains filing fee rules.
- Information on filing grievances with the Michigan Department of Corrections.
- A service of the Michigan Criminal Justice Program of The American Friends Service Committee, helping prisoners and their loved ones with their individual problems and providing tools to help them become strong advocates for themselves.